Saturday, August 23, 2014

REFLECTIONS ON WEEK 1

1. There are some factors that can affect my participation and experience in this class, but I won't let them. I'm not very intelligent when it comes to computers and I usually like to keep my thoughts and opinions off the internet to prevent controversy. I understand, however, that controversy is a part of the class so I will learn to open up more. My schedule is very compacted with dance, tutor sessions, guitar lessons, etc. so I am concerned about posting everything on time, but I'll try my best. Right now I have dance Mondays and Wednesdays from 7-11pm, SAT tutoring Tuesdays and Sundays from 7-9pm, dance Thursdays from 5:30-8:30pm, and Saturdays from 1-3pm. My schedule is completely compacted, but I'm going to be dedicated and persevere through. On a positive note, I have an iphone, transportation, and a laptop at home so that will be beneficial for this class. I also have a very supportive family that stands by my side and is very encouraging toward my studies. 
2. Life is full of various learning experiences. The best learning experience that changed me forever was not in a classroom, but in a hospital room. My older sister was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. Her condition was so severe that we had to say our last goodbyes to her. It was then that I realized the value of life and what I was here for. I learned that day of the importance of family, love, and grew my faith in God like never before. The surgeon was there and was talking to my parents about my sister's health, but I wasn't allowed to hear the news. I was only seven years old and was so confused about what Crohn's Disease was. My parents didn't want to talk about it with me because they were busy with so many other things and my siblings couldn't leave my sister's side to explain what exactly was happening. So, I took it upon myself and researched the disease. I researched all the possible symptoms, related diseases, types of Crohn's diseases, medications, surgeries, and more and more to find out what my sister was going through. It was when I thought I was going to lose my sister that I learned the most. I learned what hard work was, that I wanted to become a surgeon, more about my sister, my faith, my family, and more about Crohn's Disease. This was life changing. My sister is still battling Crohn's Disease, but whenever I dedicate myself to academics, I feel like I am helping her and other Crohn's Disease patients so I can help them as their surgeon. 
3.  I am excited most about collaborating with people that share the same interests as me. I believe that will prepare me for college and inform me more on my topic of interest; medicine. I'm looking forward to learning about other people's passions in life and understanding people a little better. I believe that building relationships with others proves beneficial for one's future because it provides connections that might be needed for opportunities later in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment